[ale] (OT) Fate of SCO

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Fri Apr 8 11:54:49 EDT 2011

UNIXWARE was Novell's foray into UNIX.   They ended up selling it
(licenses not copyrights apparently) to SCO who then supported both the
SCO UNIX (later rebranded OpenDesktop) and UNIXWARE for a while.   I was
using SCO prior to that deal (and after it but kept using the SCO UNIX).
The linked article suggests that at some point SCO dropped the separate
product in favor of UNIXWARE but I don't know if that's true.   In my
current job I've inherited more than one SCO server from various
acquisitions and although they're a few years old they're not from the
90s like the ones I had worked on at the earlier company.  (Which I
guess indicates another reason why I don't agree with the "cash
register" comment in the article.)