[ale] perl/postgresql question

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Apr 5 10:29:29 EDT 2011

Jim Kinney wrote:
> More thought. 2 postmasters is ok as long as only is write capable.  If
> you are pulling from read, filtering and pushing to write it should be
> ok. Write attemp on read only side should error differently unless
> attached user is db owner which always has write privs unless explicitly
> blocked.

If both were connected to the same database, they were both capable of
writing.

More things I don't know.

I was running multiple postmasters on different directories.  All we
know is we had two postmasters running against a 'master' directory.
Problem is, I had two different master directories with two different
databases.  Still, we can not verify which directory the two different
postmasters were running against as they both have been terminated
since.  One with a regular pg_ctl stop, the other with a kill.  The
thing is, something was wrong as the one that was killed would not stop
with the pg_ctl command and there was no pid file for it.  Thus, we plan
to reload the test databases from scratch and retest.

The upside is, maybe that's why my cleaning script was not working.