[ale] [OT] Please Help me with my homework

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Apr 4 08:54:41 EDT 2011

Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Being an old fogey doesn’t mean the same as being an old dog – you can
> learn new tricks.   I have a road atlas and usually stop and get the
> state map for whatever states I’m going through and I used them often
> for various trips.   However, once Mapquest became available I didn’t
> feel I’d dumbed myself down any for using nor do I feel that way using
> the GPS built in the car I bought 2 years ago.    For my last few major
> road trips I’ve printed Mapquest AND used the GPS mainly to see what the
> differences were.    They do tend to pick slightly different routes.
> On my Saskatchewan trip Mapquest had me bypassing Wisconsin and going
> into Minnesota but my GPS put me through western Wisconsin.

My experiences with GPSs indicate:

1.  They don't always pick the best route.
2.  They are wrong at times.

One time I was trying to locate an early polling location, put the
address into the GPS, followed it and found myself at an empty field.

Fact was, I knew where the location was by name, but just went to the
GPS without thinking about it.  I called them, got directions and
immediately recognized the location and, of course, felt like a huge
idiot for being such a droid...