[ale] "Small Guy" redundant routing

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Apr 3 15:10:55 EDT 2011

With "small guy" services, it is fairly easy to setup redundant network
access with cable and DSL services.  If you combine those with a reverse
proxy someplace in the cloud, then you can have redundant, round-robin
load balancing for inbound connections, not just outbound redundancy
too.  I have a friend with this setup and he's had it working for about
a decade.

These days it is possible to run 200+ services off a single public IP,
but your reverse proxy configuration will not be trivial.

The big network guys seem to think that a single IP means a single
service. That simply isn't the case.  You can do it with subdomains
and/or subfolders.

app1.domain.com
app2.domain.com
app3.domain.com

can all forward to different internal services. I suspect you already
understand that. You can even use reverse proxies to share a single SSL
cert and forward the requests to different backends inside your network.
 A few months ago, I read how to perform SSL load balancing using a
single IP and Apache, but it only worked with really modern browsers.
http://www.howtoforge.com/enable-multiple-https-sites-on-one-ip-using-tls-extensions-on-debian-etch

Let's see ... are there any gotcha services ... email.  Hosting multiple
email domains on a single IP is definitely possible.

Ok, so here's the thing that you asked for and I don't think you can
have, at least not cheaply. You don't get to have much of a subnet,
except on 1 connection and the other connection will be on a completely
separate public address space.  Obviously, you could pay $XYZ/month to
get what you're asking for (I didn't check prices), but why when
$150/month will get you 2 business class connections (DSL + Cable), just
with limited public IP space?

I used to have a /29 at home through Abraxis many years ago.  I never
used more than 2 of those IPs.  These days, I make due with a single
public IP. Sure there are times during migrations that it would be handy
to have another public IP, but not as often as you'd think.

I'm pretty certain there are lots of people on this list who have also
solved the same problem.