[ale] [OT] Please Help me with my homework

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Apr 1 17:46:37 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 17:34 -0400, JD wrote:

> When I was growing up, my parents made using a map part of our trip
> skills.  We estimated what time we'd get to a particular rest area or
> town and when to turn, when we'd need more fuel and which place would
> be the best to stop for it.  It was fun and educational.  All 5 of my
> sisters know how to read a map because of this (we all also know how
> to drive manual transmission vehicles).  I see this as training for
> adulthood.

When I got my license the map was my key to freedom.  I went hours away
from home on state roads and small roads just using a map.  Got a lot of
tickets too.

I use my Garmin NUVI as a map all the time.  When I'm stuck on an
interstate I'll swipe the screen and go in 2D mode and then start using
it as a map.  Get off the highway and start a nice country drive around
traffic. I can't figure out how to do this on the TomTom.  TT wants to
center the map on my current location when does not allow me the ability
to scroll.  All I can do it zoom out or zoom in with my location in the
center.

The GPS has also made me feel better about driving down town ATL.  I
used to get nervous about getting lost but now I can go anywhere I want
and always get back.  I still use Google Maps to look at where I'm going
before I go.  I also use street view and sat view so that when I get
there I can recognize the building.  Makes getting them much easier and
less stressful.