[ale] Does anybody have experience with a load-balancing/failover distro?

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Wed Sep 29 16:08:41 EDT 2010

On 9/29/2010 3:18 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> schools really need a proxy like squid. One person hits a site and then
> 30 others hit the same site. Squid will (in this example) cut the used
> bandwidth to about 1/30 as the first hit is cached. Saw this in action
> during the APS Linux thin client project. bandwidth is scarce in schools
> and not having a caching proxy is just a bad idea.

I don't have any in my service area that don't have a proxy. Before the
majority of mine all had fiber between the bulk of their schools-
there's a couple that have wireless links because of multiple carriers
and that mess, and a few that have no choice but phone-line based
solutions-  I had a few that used dual-level proxies, too. Since they
had, say, 768k/sec back to the board office, we put proxies in local to
save both internal and external slowness. This was when a district would
have 1 T1 line.

Of course, back then, squid was VERY scary to configure. Not so much
anymore. I suspect some of the boxes they've paid for are indeed squid.

The last time I saw some stats, schools average about 40% cache hits. It
helps, of course, but 3megs is still not that much for a whole school.