[ale] GParted & unallocated space

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 12:03:20 EDT 2010

Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 08:16 AM, Tom Freeman wrote:
>> One idiot's opinion here. Most people don't just blow the "restore"
>> partition away for a combination of reasons: lazy (me!! 8-(), lack of
>> needed tech skills, and the personal knowledge that there is a 95%
>> chance of losing the backup copy of the restore partition within two months.
>>
>> Of course, I could be really wrong also.
>
> I don't know why anyone would rely on a restore partition.  Worst case,
> you should always have a backup.  The drive could go bad, or become
> irreversibly corrupted.  Then what?

I usually "hide" the restore partition on any Windows machine I am
actively around.

In the past I've had someone that didn't realize its' purpose delete
things there "to free up space because the computer was getting slow".

Ever since then it's a trip to My Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk
Management and then removing the drive letter so the partition doesn't
show.  It's easier to add the drive letter back later than deal with a
screwed up restore partition.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/