[ale] Does anybody have experience with a load-balancing/failover distro?

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Tue Sep 28 12:08:29 EDT 2010

I've got a district that is getting a second internet connection for
redundancy purposes. They would therefore love to have a load balancing
and failover appliance. Obviously, there are some vendors that have
products to sell them, and also obviously, they cost money that they
don't have.

A fair number of districts have used "untangle" before, but it appears
that they charge for the lb/f capability; it's not included in the free
download. It may be cheaper for them since they don't need firewall,
filtering, etc., but free is preferred, since even the box to do this is
a factor...

So, do you know of/have you used any linux distros that do this well and
easily? I'm going to go to distrowatch now, but I just want to know of
good experiences.

Thanks,
David