[ale] OT-related-Re: Well isn't this special

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Sep 28 08:09:41 EDT 2010

On 09/28/2010 05:54 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon September 27 2010, Watson, Keith wrote:
>
>> Government Seeks Back Door Into All Our Communications
>> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/government-seeks
>>
>> U.S. Tries to Make It Easier to Wiretap the Internet
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/us/27wiretap.html
>>
> on a related note:
>   Gov mum on high tech snooping vans
>
>   The administration is keeping silent about a story revolving around some high
> tech vans recently purchased by the Department of Homeland Security that are
> capable of literally peering through the walls of your home. If DHS was using
> these vans to fight terrorism, that'd be great - but they will not confirm
> nor deny the vans are also being used in other areas that would infringe on
> privacy rights. Glenn talks with Congressman Jason Chaffetz about the story
> on radio today. ( Transcript, Insider Audio, FREE Insider Extreme clip)
> http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/196/45942/

Late, and I hate sounding like a tinfoil hat ...

The only way I'd be semi-comfortable with such vans in _anybody's_ hands
is with use restricted to court sanctioned search warrants, which become
public in a limited length of time. I personally find anything less to
be basic terrorism from a totalitarian government. Terrorism suppression
is not a reason to act like a terrorist

IANAL, and YMMV (but for once it shouldn't)