[ale] GParted & unallocated space

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:16:19 EDT 2010

Jim Kinney wrote:
<snipped>
> In general, it's a good idea to plan on blowing away the "restore"
> partition for any dual-boot setup. It can't be used to "restore
> functionality" to the machine anyway. Make a restore disk set instead so
> you have original winders garbage and the extra bloatware it shipped
> with parked elsewhere. Then _you_ have control of the drive structure..

I don't understand why more people don't do this.  Most computers don't
come with Restore Discs anymore and the Restore partition (typically)
fits nicely on a DVD.  heck, even if people didn't go the Linux route
they still have the option of returning the machine back to factory
condition when they get rid of the thing.

I've done this several times on laptops (no Win7's yet), when upgrading
to a larger hard drive.  no problems with GParted and the resizing.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/