[ale] GParted & unallocated space

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 16:15:26 EDT 2010

The procedure as I recall is to
1. defrag disk in winders
2. shrink disk in winders
3. reboot and let winders do some disk checking
4. boot with Linux disk and install to new unallocated space

It used to work to do some disk shrinking in Linux and then let winders do
it's disk check but that seems to be a bad route now for likely proprietary
reasons.

This gets totally bozo'd when the winders install is a restore disk that
eats the drive with a non-standard partition type that is set to autoexpand.
don't know how they do it. The one time I got hit by that I think I dd'ed
the recover partition to a file and made a CD of it, blew away the recovery
partition and recreated it with fdisk and then dd'd the data back over (I
think).

Somewhere in the middle of that I clearly recall screaming loudly about the
waste of time recovery partitions are followed by a string of obscenities.

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Jim Philips <briarpatch.jim at gmail.com>wrote:

> I tried again to see if things would work for me the way they did for you.
> No luck. The newly freed space was listed as "unusable". I could neither
> format it nor set a mount point and if I tried to move forward, the
> installation complained there was no mount point.
>
> I also tried installing FC13. FC13's partitioning program never
> successfully shrank sda2, where Windows resides. It saw all partitions as 0
> megabytes. I'm beginning to feel really screwed here.
>
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Richard Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org>wrote:
>
>>  Yes.  I did install Ubuntu 9.10 to unallocated space without
>> pre-formatting.  I did not attempt to format it in advance...I did that step
>> in the installer by selecting the option to install the OS to the largest
>> unallocated space.  Ubuntu created an extended partition and two logical
>> partitions.  Since the end-user is new to Linux I did a simple single
>> partition installation on ext4 with a swap partition (trying to make it
>> easier for them to learn...will do upgrades in the future).  This is a
>> common way that I install for dual booting systems for new users and have
>> never had major issues with it.  The last build I did this with was last
>> weekend and was an IBM MT-M 8183-CTO SFF desktop system.  Runs like a dream
>> with the only issue being I was having a hard-time getting DVD movies to
>> play in Movie Player.
>>
>> I don't know if there has been changes to the installer on 10.10 and
>> believe the "Install to largest unallocated space" is an option in 10.04.
>> It is an option on the Live CD for 9.10.  I do not have Vista or 7 and
>> really have not kept-up with the fine points of changes since XP...and to
>> tell you the truth I really don't want to know.  I'm more interested in
>> spending my time in *nix than M$ so I cannot tell you what will happen when
>> doing a tandem installation using 7.  I would expect no major issues....

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.