[ale] GParted & unallocated space

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Sat Sep 25 20:27:58 EDT 2010

I've shrank Windows partitions with GParted successfully -- I just make
sure I run chkdsk on M$ to make sure Bill is "happy".  If you can
successfully resize the partition and create the appropriate
"unallocated space" then I wouldn't worry about formatting that space --
I'd just install Ubuntu to the unallocated space and be done with it.
This is exactly what I did last weekend on a build for a buddy who is
dual-booting XP and 9.10 and he loves it!  So much so he can't imagine
why in the world anyone would want to use Windows when you have Linux to
choose from!!  : )

The scenario under-which I did this was:  WD 160GB HDD "System C:" 40GB
NTFS; "Storage D:" 40GB NTFS and the remainder as Unallocated Space for
Ubuntu 9.10 to install to (which it did flawlessly!)  I had attempted an
installation of 64 Studio on this box after installing XP but the whole
build got corrupt during the late phases of the install of Studio (boot
loader crapped-out).  During that installation the "Storage" drive got
repartitioned to 56GB from the original 40GB I specified so I used
GParted on the Live CD I have for 9.10 and parred it back to 40GB.  I
then nuked the ext3 partitioning from the botched 64 Studio
installation, rebooted to M$ and ran chkdsk on D: and confirmed all was
well.  Then back to my Live CD and did the installation on the
Unallocated Space.  Viola!

Note:  I did not format the unallocated space prior to Linux
installation...I did that during the installation.

Fly low, beat the radar and may the wind at your back not be your
own....R