[ale] Data center space?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Sep 20 19:25:23 EDT 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> I'm wondering, at what point does it become more worth it to just put my
> own real systems in a data center and manage them myself?  I don't mind

When you decide it's worth the pain/cost... You'll know.

# w
  19:08:58 up 454 days, 56 min,

Worth every penny and has been since 2003.
(I've had servers on-net since 1994)

> should I wait until I'm paying more than I am now?  And why does it seem
> that all the data centers are very hush-hush about what they charge?  I
> can't seem to find rates for the life of me.

Variables include:

   How nice your shoes/watch are.
   How clueless you are.
   Who your friends are.
   How much power your server uses
   How much bandwidth it uses..
   How much space it takes..
   How far from the backbone the bandwidth is..
   How fast it can go..

But what it usually boils down to is about $75-$150 for a 1u server
and enough bandwidth to do normal things. Want to know what you are
really paying for before you do? Call their tech support hotline
at 2am and see who/what/if answers the phone.