[ale] Need help with RE in egrep

Sun Sep 19 15:46:18 EDT 2010

Could someone please give me a transcript proof of this in action?
(complete with mkdir /tmp/sample and touch ...) I really want to
understand how that could possibly work. Each week I spend hours on
irc://chat.freenode.net#bash helping people with this exact kind of
task. I'm not easily stumped. Especially not by a sed less than 60
characters.

On 9/19/10, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> I did a find . | sed 's!^/.\+/!/!'
>
> And it produced the output I was looking for.  I didn't investigate it
> any further.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.
> On 09/18/2010 06:39 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>> I have no idea how that solves the need you explained. I write sed and
>> awk everyday. I have no idea how a substitution (the s in that sed
>> script) could ever work to "generate a list of files in a directory,
>> excluding the top level hidden directories and files." I can only
>> imagine doing this with the d command like so:
>> find . | sed '/^\.\/\./d'
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Jim Lynch
>> <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>  wrote:

>>> That works, thanks.
>>>
>>> Jim.

Sent from my mobile device