[ale] Hello World - in C# - in Mono - in Ubuntu is done

wolf at wolfhalton.info wolf at wolfhalton.info
Sat Sep 18 18:25:37 EDT 2010

Ron
I am glad you are on this list.  The question of "to C# or not to C#"
has been a very interesting one with quite a number of dimensions to it.

If I had an opinion, I would say, "Learn C#, because that is what you
want to learn.  Learn Python for how quickly you can prototype stuff in
it.  I agree that C is a useful language, especially for embedded
systems, and for its cross-platform-by-design aspects.  After you have a
handle on programming generally and can see the underlying basis for
stuff, look into cobol.  I know a person who had zero programming
experience and a semester of cobol who got $30K part-time job fixing Y2K
stuff.  You are better off in the smaller pool of higher-paying job reqs
than in a larger pool of lower-paying jobs."  This is also why I suggest
my students (mostly) specialize in the Unix/Linux side of things.
Windows system engineers are more commonly available, and I think that
pushes the price down.

-Wolf