[ale] Hello World - in C# - in Mono - in Ubuntu is done

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Fri Sep 17 00:13:26 EDT 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:29:39 -0400
"Michael B. Trausch" <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> It is _awesome_.  I've been using it for quite some time now, and I
> love it.  It is probably the only application that I use that uses
> Mono, the rest is Python (blech; I really, really dislike systems
> where assigning an integer to a formerly string variable is possible,
> oh the bugs that causes...)

The more dynamic languages solve your "problem" with unit testing.
Testing catches many more classes of bugs than just type mismatches,
though.

I'm not saying you can't have unit tests with any language, you just
tend to see them more often in the Perl and Python worlds.

I dislike Python for a lot of reasons.  One of them is the way it
handles types.  I much prefer Perl in that regard.  In Perl, if I want
to compare two numbers I use one operator and if I want to compare two
strings I use a different operator.  If I use the numeric equals
operator the number 1 and the string "1" will be equal.

I'd be so made if I had to use something like atoi() :p

Pat