[ale] Dropbox opinions wanted

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Wed Sep 15 21:34:45 EDT 2010

On 09/15/2010 08:07 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:19 PM, mute wonder <mutewonder at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I love it for saving those documents I'm working on across computers/operating systems.  2 problems so far are...when my internet connection is slow/weak, syncing the local Dropbox folder is a pain.  Also, I couldn't upload music or video files at all.

> Have any of you guys checked out SpiderOak, they give 2 Gigs, to me a
> bit easier that dropbox to use.

I currently use SpiderOak paid for 100GB.  With a .edu discount, it's
$50/yr, so that's a pretty decent price.  I also like their security model.

My biggest problem with DropBox is their seeming data deduplication.  As
others have pointed out, sometimes large files appear nearly instantly
on DropBox, leading me to believe they store an md5sum (or similar) of
your plaintext.  Worse, they must have some way to decrypt the file so
they can place a copy encrypted with your key in your directory.  I'd be
interested to know how they do it and claim to maintain AES-256
encryption of your files accessible only with your password.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE
Ubuntu Community Member