[ale] Linux and Cell Phone Software

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Sep 14 22:16:07 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 20:39 -0400, Craig Button wrote:
> Any suggestions for linux software to access cell phone. i.e. memory,
> contacts, sms, etc?

GSM or TDMA?  Provider?  I was using Gnokii for ages for access a Nokia
GSM phone and T-Mobile for sending SMS stuff (SMS server setup).  That
worked well.  I've used it with Palm Treos with Sprint and several
others.  It's all provider, vendor, and (sometimes) model dependent.
Sometimes even adapter dependent.  I couldn't use the adapter provided
by Nokia (off beat proprietary USB to serial chip crap) but a 3rd party
standard chip cable worked like a charm.

Regards,
Mike