[ale] dialog box vanishing in Ubuntu

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Sep 14 15:11:42 EDT 2010

Brian,

I did put an entry in the startup programs section.  They moved it, and it
now has its own position in the menu.  It's not under sessions any
more.  The dialog box is as menu / system / preferences / startup programs.

I put the following line, which I got from a web page somewhere.

su-to-root -X -c /usr/sbin/firestarter

The one you referred to is:

sudo firestarter --start-hidden

I wonder what the difference is and which one is preferred.  I did read
somewhere that the firewall would start on its own.  However, I like to
have a visual indication of it.  Also, it's set for only one network
interface, such as wireless.  If I plug in an ethernet cable, the firewall
is not active unless I reset the NIC setting.  The indicator in the status
bar lets me know if the firewall fails to start.  I tested the computer,
directly connected to my cable modem, with the Shields Up test at
grc.com.  I found out that unless Firestarter is active, with or without
the GUI, all my ports are closed, not stealthed.  When Firestarter is
active, they're all stealthed.

Ron