[ale] LAMP performance

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Sep 14 09:04:15 EDT 2010

On 09/13/2010 05:58 PM, Pat Regan wrote:
> File systems like ZFS are smart enough to work with fast and slow media
> in the same pool.  You could effectively have an array of slower
> spinning media to cover your reads and a pair of SSDs to cache your
> writes.  I haven't gotten to play with this, though, so I don't know
> how well it works in practice :)

Drifting further OT...

I'm not sure ZFS has a way to spend up all writes, similar to how you
can speed up all reads by adding a L2ARC. However, you can certainly
speed up synchronous writes by adding a good solid state drive as a
separate intent log device. I got a nice boost after adding an OCZ
Vertex 2 as one. Watching zilstat on the server while running filebench
against an NFS export from it is pretty fun.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts