[ale] dialog box vanishing in Ubuntu

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sun Sep 12 15:41:38 EDT 2010

I've got a strange problem going on that I was hoping you guys could help
with.  I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 with the Gnome desktop.  I'm using
firestarter to control the firewall.  I also have firestarter set to start
up automatically on boot, so the firewall is automatically started, and so
I have a status indicator for it.  When I boot, I get the standard
login.  Once I enter my password there, I immediately get another dialog
box asking for administrative permission to start the firestarter
application.  If I immediately enter my password, everything is fine and
the system boots.

However, if I wait a few seconds at the second password box, Gnome starts
up, the dialog box vanishes, and firestarter never starts.  There appears
to be no way to get back to this screen, and there is no evidence of it on
the task bar.  On one of my three computers, the mouse cursor also vanishes
and the only way I can get control of my computer is to Ctl-Alt-F1, log
into the terminal, and issue a sudo reboot command.

Even though I can work around the problem, does anyone know of a better way.

Sincerely,

Ron