[ale] OT: Guess What, You Don’t Own That Software You Bought | Threat Level | Wired.com

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Sat Sep 11 09:38:23 EDT 2010

As bad as the subject line sounds, read further as it seems easy (and
likely) that this principle can be extended to books, music, whatever.
You won't be able even to trade in your paperbacks.

That the judges said, "don't blame me, blame Congress," doesn't cheer me
up either as Hollywood's dollars almost always outweigh Joe Lunchbox's.

When scholars debate in a hundred years the decline of America's economy
in the early 21st century, patent and copyright laws will be as high on
the list as Smoot-Hawley was on the Great Depression's.

One thing I do predict - Pirate Bay's children (and the relevant
technology) will spring up faster than cockroaches. Oh, the irony when
our technological competitors and enemies end up using weapons
originally designed to trade software, music and books. This ruling has
just accelerated the construction of that Trojan horse.

- wf