[ale] weird mouse problem

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:37:09 EDT 2010

On Sep 9, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> I feed and support what could be described as a very typical computer user - a 20 year old female college student. Her Linux only laptop is completely sufficient for all of her work/school/entertainment needs with the only exception of accessing that waste of space iTunes store (because dad won't install alternate software) with the ipod she got as a gift. But she can use the ipod to add her own music to using normal Gnome desktop media tools. And she gags and spits when she has had to use school provided winders machines for special projects with expensive software (Adobe InDesign for the newspaper) as they are just clunky and slow.

Both of my kids (one High School, one College) are BOTH Mac and Linux users.  My eldest is trying to pick up perl and fiddling with some other goodness out there.  (reminds me...  maybe I should peruse his shell history)..  :)

I try to be as objective as possible, being an "edge condition" myself.  I have two VERY specialized (expensive) pieces of software that I maintain that are going to be nowhere near the mainstream.  However, it seems that positively every user I have to support ends up with one irreplaceable piece of software that for the life of me can't be run in any sort of Linux workaround.

Rather than deal with the 3-hour phone calls ALL THE TIME, I help them get whatever their company approves and call it done.

I do so look forward to the day when that's unnecessary.

On a lighter Mac note, I really like it when a mac user looks over my shoulder and sees iTerm full-screened and running multiple screens in my shell.  They always ask "What in the HELL are you doing??!?"

That ALWAYS makes me smile.

:)