[ale] weird mouse problem

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 08:56:33 EDT 2010

I must strenuously disagree with the idea that Linux is not good for general
users.  The mouse in question was provided with a driver disk. The maker
knew it wouldn't work in windows without it. That the huge array of hardware
just works out of the box with Linux says clearly to me Linux is past ready
for general users. What is missing is the understanding of opensource
processes by the hardware makers. A windows only mouse driver would, using
the prior disagreeable logic, make the case that macs aren't general user
ready. I would strongly suggest that vastly more hardware "JustWorks" with
Linux than macs thus making macs far less general user friendly than Linux.
Using windows print drivers for Linux systems doesn't work or even make
sense. There's many networkable printers but a few use non-standard ports or
protocols. Again, that's not a fault of Linux but of the printer maker. Wait
a month and the Linux world will work around the brokenness of the makers
engineering.
The age old argument "I can't switch because I need this one windows-only
app" is the perfect argument that Linux IS a good general use platform and
the others are the special purpose ones.
Linux totally kicks tail in all areas. Microsoft and Apple both know this
and see the Linux-led opensource tsunami coming at them. Apple has to
advertise its product like perfume and blue jeans; no rational reason to
choose us so just "be cool and join us cool people". Microsoft ads look like
IBM in the 80's; "people use us because everyone else does".
Join the freedom tsunami. Use Linux!

On Sep 9, 2010 7:53 AM, "Paul Cartwright" <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:

On Thu September 9 2010, Jim Philips wrote:
> Anyway, if anybody knows of a foolproof way to see how...
and this is why Linux sucks for mainstream users.. I went through the same
crap when I bought a wonderful ( pick your poison) Epson Scanner, Epson
printer..... the Linux drivers aren't ready for prime time. I realize you
are
very happy with that particular mouse, but how much is your time worth?
would
a $29 USB/Bluetooth mouse solve your problem? I eventually setup my HP 5610
on the network for my wife's Vista laptop, because I got tired of fighting
network printing issue with the Epson. The Epson works fine direct-connect,
but the Epson ( M$) software just sucks for shared printers from Linux.

--

Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800