[ale] Designing hardware that runs Linux

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Oct 29 16:21:57 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I had an idea the other day to build an embedded system.  But I am
seriously, seriously lacking the knowledge that would be required to
implement the thing.  (And it might even be possible that someone else
is already doing the things I'm looking at, but I haven't found them if
they are.)

What I do know is that I need to talk to someone who knows a thing or
two about building embedded systems that run Linux on them.  I don't
want to put all the details of my thinking in the public archive (which
is why I'm being a bit vague), but I think that it would be worthwhile
looking into it.  What I do know is that this is (roughly) what I'd want
in terms of hardware:

  * Two to four Ethernet ports
  * At least one or two USB ports that are user-accessible
  * An easily implemented "expansion bus" that would make a stackable
    unit possible without sending the cost through the roof and provided
    no less than 6 Mbps of usable net bandwidth
  * <= 512 MB each of RAM and software storage, <= 4 GB of redundant
    data storage
  * A CPU capable of running Linux and a limited userland, in the
    300-600 MHz range
  * No spinning platters, and passive cooling if possible
  * The ability to use next to no power when idle
  * The ability to use no more than approx. 90 watts when under full
    load (the last two requirements being the most flexible, but still
    strongly desirable)

Is there anyone on the list that would be willing to be paid for an hour
or two of time to sit and talk with me about this idea, and help me to
figure out how feasible it would be to actually create the
implementation?  I can do all the software stuff involved (I think,
though if any drivers need to be written that might take me a bit longer
than I'd want, but I'd still be willing to do it), but I am seriously
lacking in the domain of hardware knowledge that would be necessary for
building around the software.

	Thanks!
	Mike