[ale] Humor: MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Oct 28 20:06:07 EDT 2010

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I've had table corruption.  I use slaves as backup so this has mitigated
> the problem.  My software does not do many transactions but I think the
> corruption has occurred when disk space ran out and on power loss.

I've got an Intel Modular Server with battery backed up (on board)
raid controller in an installation where the power goes on and off
a lot (even past the 10hrs of UPS power). It's been a workhorse. Solid.
The server(s) detect UPS life left via snmp and shut down gracefully
as they get to 20%, and the UPS won't energize the outlets until it
has 40% capacity. This system has done 85 million in "e-commerce"
so far with no issues.

In the next rack over is a similiar application running on an Oracle 11g
install on a Dell server without the battery backed up raid... and without
it being patched into the UPS.. it shuts down hard when the UPS goes. It
often takes them half a day to get back online. and they have lost data.
But that one is not my system..

Oracle really does not like the plug being pulled on the servers..
and they should have spent some money on the hardware
and server integration with the UPS.

My point is, I think good hardware and system setup makes a lot of
difference no matter what the database is. Next up is sane database design
and coding. Cursors are bad in web-ish apps.. etc..

And the real issue, not in the video..
is: What is the real future of MySQL under Oracle's roof?

I'll be trying PostgreSQL again soon. Just to keep my options open.
Vacuum Analyze that, Oracle.