[ale] Almost free copy of Slackware Linux Essentials

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:44:46 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> writes:
>
>> On 10/25/2010 08:24 AM, Watson, Keith wrote:
>>> You can get an almost free copy of "Slackware Linux Essentials".
>>>
>>> I say almost free because you have to give contact information to sales people.
>>>
>>> Slackware Linux Essentials - The official guide to Slackware Linux
>>> http://lockergnome.tradepub.com/free/w_slac01/prgm.cgi
>>
>> That was an utter waste of time.
>>
>> They don't mail you a free copy; they just send you a link to download a
>> PDF.
>>
>> You can already download a PDF for free at http://www.slackbook.org/
>
> Which begs the question, why does anyone care about Slackware anymore?
> Slackware was so 1993!   ;-)
>
> -derek
> --
>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

Slackware still matters. To make such a statement is equal as to why
does Debian matter.  Slackware is one of the granddaddies of Linux.
And will always matter. And I am not being a troll, just that
Slackware was my fist intro into linux and I still use it today.

One without it, there would have never been an S.u.S.E and it the
bases for to really cool distro Slax and Topologilinux.

http://www.slax.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slax

For those that use SUSE Studio. Slax is the so far the only thing that
I see that matches. Yes, there might be other, but Slax is very nice
and very easy.

It is also the bases of  a linux that run on top of Windows. (Using Co-Linux)

http://www.topologilinux.com/  (Latest Version is based on Slackware
12, they are working on one based on Slackware 13)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topologilinux

Which I use because I work with a company that won't let me get rid of
Windows. It nice to have a real. yes I could use Cygwin, but that not
the point of why Slackware matter now is it.

Plus there a list of all the Distro base on Slackware
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions#Slackware-based
)

Distribution 	Description
Austrumi 	An 108 MB bootable live CD as of version 1.9.3
BasicLinux 	A mini Linux designed to run in old PCs (386). Has a
certain degree of compatibility with Slackware packages.
HostGIS 	HostGIS Linux is a Slackware based distribution specifically
made for handling GIS information.
KateOS 	A desktop distribution aimed at intermediate users. It uses
Xfce as its default desktop environment.
MuLinux 	Floppy-based distribution with replaceable modules.
NimbleX 	Completely customizable through the NimbleX website.
Recovery Is Possible 	Live CD for system maintenance and recovery.[10]
Salix OS 	Uses Xfce or LXDE as its default desktop environment.
Sentry Firewall 	A firewall, server or intrusion detection system distribution.
Slackintosh 	An unofficial port of Slackware to the PowerPC architecture.
Slamd64 	An unofficial port of Slackware to the x86-64 architecture.
SLAX 	A very popular live CD which aims to provide a complete desktop
for general use. Permanent installation of SLAX is not recommended or
supported; it is designed for "live" use only.
STUX 	Live CD
SuperGamer 	A Live DVD Linux Distribution focused on gaming.
Topologilinux 	Designed to run from within Microsoft Windows,
Topologilinux can be installed without any changes to the user's hard
disk.
VectorLinux 	A lightweight distribution designed to be easy to use
even for new users. Generally considered well-suited for older
hardware.
Wolvix 	A desktop-oriented Linux distribution based on Slackware,
mainly targeted at home users, featuring Xfce.
Zenwalk 	Originally a minimal version of Slackware, Zenwalk has
evolved into a very different operating system; however, compatibility
with Slackware is still maintained.
ZipSlack 	A lightweight and portable version of Slackware
[edit] SLAX-based

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.