[ale] SAN

Dennis Ruzeski denniruz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 20:58:22 EDT 2010

SAN vs NAS is a question of how the disk is presented to the host.

With a SAN it's presented as a block device and still needs to be
partitioned and formatted like any local disk would. Although FC is
popular, there are several protocol options- FCOE, iSCSI, ATA over
Ethernet, etc..

You can load up a linux system with a bunch of disk and a fiber
channel card that supports target mode can be used to make a basic FC
SAN with no zoning.

NAS presents a formated, ready to mount and use device.

Both have their place and I could go on and on but I have to boogie
for now. Maybe this would be a good topic for a meeting?

--Dennis