[ale] SAN

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 16:47:43 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 15:05 -0400, Jim Butler wrote:
>> I need to put together a storage area network.. (I've never done it
>> before).. Is there a good open-source (and FREE) SAN software
>> available? What I want, is to create a storage cluster and then serve
>> file-shares via NFS to various servers in our organization. Any
>> insight would be appreciated.
>
> As Jeff already mentioned, it looks like you're actually after NAS.  You
> might want to check out FreeNAS, which is a system distribution that is
> built on FreeBSD and supports access via CIFS, TFTP, FTP, NFS, and other
> protocols.  FreeNAS will turn a computer system with access to storage
> into a dedicated network storage system which should be used for no
> other purpose.  Because it is built on FreeBSD, you can use ZFS to house
> the filesystems.  Also, FreeNAS claims to have support for Apple's Time
> Machine, so if you have any systems running Mac OS X on your network
> that might be a useful feature.
>
> Check out the Wikipedia article[0] and the Web site[1] for more
> information.
>
>        --- Mike

There's also openFiler, but there is a company that sells full blown
NAS's based on linux so all of the software comes with the box as I
recall.  And there is not much markup over build-it yourself.

Trouble is I don't recall the name of the company.  Anyone else.

Also, I don't know if they sold a fail-over cluster like you want, or
just standalone.

Greg