[ale] CISSP != happy + OSS

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 13:26:02 EDT 2010

Well, it wasn't that the certification its self or the course materials are
overly biased in this sense, but what I got from that particular instructor
showed some of the types of bias I hear back at work pretty clearly. We have
a different instructor today who, being a former Unix got himself, has a
much different perspective. He even included a 10min pitch for truecrypt
during one of the sidebars.

I guess the take away is that there is advocacy at the 'user' and 'IT geek'
levels, but the procurement and management types are still hearing mostly
fear-uncertainty-doubt.

Same thing applied to all the discussions of pki vs gpg. There's reasons for
both, but in general there was a consensus equaling 'web of trust' with
'peer to peer,' and by connotation, filesharing and general badness.