[ale] Asterisk for

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 22 12:43:31 EDT 2010

Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

> For asterisk timing is critical.  You can use the zaptel driver for this
> and in my system I have a X100P PCI board that assists with this.  When
> you don't have a PCI board then the zaptel driver can still provide
> timing using the RTC.
>
> VMs are frowned upon, again due to that timing issue.  I would suggest
> _REAL_ hardware.    My system is on a real server sitting at Peak 10 in
> Norcross.

I've been running asterisk in a VM without any issues at all, but I'm
also not doing anything complicated.  I've got a single SIP line coming
into asterisk, and I've got a single ATA and a linphone configured.
I've rarely had issues (although I do sometimes have issues dialing out,
where it will ring for a while and then I get disconnected, possibly due
to a transfer or some such).

-derek