[ale] Asterisk for

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Oct 21 19:50:56 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 19:33 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Pros are the configuration makes a whole lot more sense than Asterisk
> ever did, Zaptel integration works better (for me) and the authors
> are
> very active in the support arena.

That would make sense.

Digium has 2 products.  Free Asterisk and "Enterprise" Asterisk.  Which
one do you think they support?

I also suggest Ben join the Atlanta Asterisk Users Group.  Membership is
free.

One of the hardest things to understand is the dial-plan.  Once you get
that nailed you can pretty much do anything.  If you check out the book
on Safari and follow it you'll be in great shape.  If you download any
distribution which hides the mess behind a nice and pretty GUI you are
in a world of hurt and you'll never truly understand what is going on.
GUIs are for those that private label asterisk and sell support.
Fonallity? Allworx? Etc.

When you figure out AGI then the real fun begins.  Your PBX becomes more
functional and you add the features you need.

Good luck.