[ale] Can we make it better? Was --> Bloody MS EULA Changes Effecting Our Choice

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Oct 18 07:14:39 EDT 2010

On Mon October 18 2010, wolf at wolfhalton.info wrote:
>  An LLC is not usually publicly traded, is it?
no, but if it prospers & grows it might..

>  I have a C Corp and it is employee owned (counting me, it is 100% employee
> owned). I don't think we are the kind of blood-sucking parasites Aaron is
> fomenting against.
that's YOUR opinion:)

>  I am seriously working up ways to have the company or some collection of
> companies start doing the stuff for FOSS projects that they are
> traditionally bad about, like PR, advertising and appealing to the masses
> who are unused to self-serve at the level to which we are all accustomed.

I like the idea, but you probably won't get much response these days, people
are falling back, waiting out this recession... or so I've heard.

>  I read an article recently by Red Hat's Business Development manager (I
> think) that suggested that we focus hard on reliability and value rather
> than cheap, free stuff, since corporate CIOs expect to pay money for what
> they get, but reliability and quality are far more important to them, and
> are easier for them to pitch to the CFO than just "free."

Red Hat is a good thing! and don't forget support along with reliability!

>  Wouldn't it be cool if we had a bunch more people developing the printer
> drivers and so on to make all distros work smoother out of the box, and
> wouldn't it be cool if we had more people writing articles about the value
> and reliability of FOSS software and the security and ease of use?  MS and
> Apple have drummed "user-friendly" into the heads of their users.  People
> feel like the big companies own "user friendly," and they think it actually
> means something besides "what we are used to."  Would anybody be interested
> in getting completely out of the box and talking about how we could do
> this?
yeah, talk to Epson about that... I have one of their $200 scanners that is a
handy boat anchor right now.. and a networked printer that doesn't like to be
networked..

YES, that would be a wonderful place to to start a great FOSS campaign!
maybe the next generation of smartphone users ( ANDROID) will see the light,
and not be so stuck with one OS.. I have spoken with my son on a number of
occaissions about APPLE, his Ipod & it's lack of ...
adaptability/stranglehold on Itunes,etc.. very limited BY Apple, to what he
can do with HIS Ipod.. They make the rulz:)
Yeah, there he was on a weekend, at my house, his Iphone battery going dead..
I have plenty of USB cables, nope, proprietary plug..  my friend around the
corner, nope his I-whatever is too old, different connector.. ah, but that is
a different story for a different thread, sorry:)

I love FOSS, I promote it when I can! But my wife works for "the
establishment" and used M$ tools on her Vista laptop ( Which I am currently
using to use Nomachine to get to my Debian box for email:)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800