[ale] China..vs..Forsyth County Schools

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Fri Oct 15 15:31:25 EDT 2010

IAAE -

Countries like China and Japan that have trade surpluses with the US
have gobs of dollars that they have to do something with. We keep buying
stuff and paying with it in $ so we get toys and they have dollars. They
have to do something with all the dollars. Buying Treasury debt has
traditionally been a way to earn somewhat of a yield without the more
significant principal or credit risk of other $ investments such as
dollar-denominated stocks or corporate bonds. Likely, they own plenty of
that stuff, too, especially as the Fed has driven short term rates to
near zero.

Of course, they could do other things with the $ but that would tend to
be more counterproductive. Say, converting the $ to yuan would drive up
the value of the yuan which clearly they are dead set against. Using the
$ to buy commodities in excess of their industrial requirements raises
the cost of manufacturing goods; again, not something beneficial. Also,
commodities do not have a fixed rate of return, rather, it costs money
to hold the inventory, something that retail gold investors will
painfully learn when, eventually, interest rates rise.

Their exploding property market is another symptom of the excess of $
and liquidity in their economy as cash rich banks, corporations and
institutions reach for returns in other investments.

In a past life, my vocation was in helping institutions in a certain
foreign economy figure out what to do with their excess dollars they had
after you bought your first Camry, Accord or VHS player.

regards,
William