[ale] A Real Sad Loss for Open Source in the Atlanta Area

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 09:59:53 EDT 2010

Robbie Honerkamp wrote:
> On 10/14/2010 1:54 PM, Brian Stanaland wrote:
>> The article doesn't say but I'd put dollars to donuts that "learning
>> management system" has a Sharepoint back end. Ensuring continued use
>> of Microsoft's crap.
>
> According to their website, they use ANGEL, which is a Blackboard product.

I had to install Office 2007 on a friend of mines laptop because of the
  (blackboard?) software she had to use to peer review her classmates
papers.  She wanted to continue using OOo, but the add-on was
specifically written for Word.

I contacted the software maker and asked if they had plans to make the
product work with OOo in the near future since I had seen (and cited for
them) many requests for this.  After pressing them for a while they
politely told me that their software was Microsoft compliant and that
was all they cared about.

So this $35 software she had to buy needed an additional $$$ Microsoft
Word to run.