[ale] A Real Sad Loss for Open Source in the Atlanta Area

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Oct 14 15:18:17 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 14:25 -0400, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> In a former life I was an accountant in Hotels that probably have
> budgets not better than schools.  I became a spreadsheet power user
> simply because we didn’t have programmers – you’d be amazed what you
> can do with macros in built in HAL programming in Lotus 123.   Since I
> made the move to full time IT before M$ had started giving away Excel
> I’m not sure how good it is in this regard but I’d be surprised if it
> didn’t do as much (now).   My guess is there ARE power users in
> schools simply because they had to be to get anything done without 50
> committees and a session before the school board.

Correct.  I would suspect that most people on this list, including me,
have no clue about what can be done with Excel.  My wife spends hours
per day in that program and I've tried to give her OO on her laptop but
unfortunately it just does not support as much as Excel does.  For UPS,
she use Excel at work, they pay for it.  When Office 2000 fails to load
on newer systems I she'll have to use OO because I'm not paying for
Excel.