[ale] A Real Sad Loss for Open Source in the Atlanta Area

Rich DeMARS rich.demars at stonebranch.com
Thu Oct 14 14:53:36 EDT 2010

Having worked for the government myself in the past, I can see and conclude that same point stated below as being one of the issues here.  Which also leads me to consider just how committed the County was truly to success of the switch.  I just wonder why there was not more training involved and why open source groups (like the ALE) where not engaged for assistance.
But the other issue that really shines out to me here is the power of document formats and many of their closed nature.  As much as open source is important, so is open formats.  And I see the lack of open and inter-changeable formats in environments today being a great reason as to the failure of such endeavorers.

Rich DeMARS
IT Manager