[ale] Why LiveUSB instead of install was: Re: LiveUSB

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 10:52:55 EDT 2010

  On 10/14/2010 09:38 AM, William Fragakis wrote:
> Having observed the progress of this project, what advantages are there
> from creating a LiveUSB instead of doing an F13 install to the USB Flash
> Drive?
>
> Not knowing any better, several weeks ago, I installed F13 to a 4gb
> flash drive from the F13 LiveCD which has since booted everything from a
> PIII to Core Duo, Athlon X4 and Atom at various times in testing
> systems, migrating/cloning systems, etc. While it worked fine for me and
> seemed a rather easy thing to do, I've been known to do things the hard
> way or for the wrong reasons as well as knowing that because something
> worked once doesn't mean it's the best way.
>
> Thanks,
> William

That's the direction I'm going as the limitations of used space in
LiveUSB. I was wondering though if I could do it through qemu-kvm. I am
able to run the image files but not too cleat as to how to address the
USB Flash Drive from the bare-metal to the VM, and install it that way.
Also I presume I would be able to encrypt the partition containing
everything other than /boot.