[ale] Filesystem encryption

Jim Butler jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 16:32:38 EDT 2010

  Hi Linux People!
I have a question and am looking for some experienced suggestions.
I saw a server recently that had filesystem encryption applied to the
entire root filesystem volume.
Although I am not sure, I do believe that the encryption scheme probably
was not loopback (cryptoloop) because the server did not have a key
stored on an external device. My understanding of loopback encryption is
that the kernel and initrd have to be stored on at least some kind of
un-encrypted media in order to boot to at least a small level sufficient
to ask for the pass-key to decrypt/mount the filesystem.
If the encryption scheme wasn't loopback encryption, what could it have
been? What ways are popular right now for encrypting an entire root
filesystem without using a thumbdrive or other external storage??
If someone can help me identify what this was, maybe I can read up on it
and implement it on one of my own servers.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Butler
Linux Network Administrator.