[ale] OT - hardware problem

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Oct 11 10:16:21 EDT 2010

Ah, you are lucky then. I would not say that bad CPUs are things that I see
normally, but I have seen more than I can directly recall.  Usually, as a
result of consistent overheating conditions, but I am sure some of them were
due to years of powering on and off, but determining the cause is not what I
am ever concerned about.  If I get to the point of suspecting a CPU or
motherboard problem, I just replace both.

Much like working on cars, knowledge will take you only so far.  Beyond
that, you must employ a process of elimination.  As with cars, look at what
the problem is and list all the causes, and start replacing the least
expensive component first.  It sounds like what you need to try next is the
mobo/CPU.  That usually means memory at the same time. Though if it is an
option, try changing out the video board.  If video is onboard, try an
expansion card.  Or vice versa.  It may be a dead end, but it is possible
that the video is doing stupid things and causing general system
instability. I had that problem with an onboard video chipset in my desktop
computer, and replacing it stopped my spontaenous power-off problems.

--
Sent from my G2.
On Oct 11, 2010 9:36 AM, "Calvin Harrigan" <charriglists at bellsouth.net>