[ale] LiveUSB

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 17:24:29 EDT 2010

  Ok, so I got the LaCie 16GB iamaKey Flash Drive. Using livecd-creator
with a kickstart cfg file I created my own spin of the F13
LiveCD-i686.iso I am trying to get this image onto the key (image file
is about 1.1GB) utilizing the balance of space as an encrypted
partition. The only way I've gotten it to the point of booting is by
doing a dd if=/path to image file of=/dev/device bs=8. I then tried
creating a 2nd partition as type 83 (linux) utilizing the balance of the
drive, and it no longer is bootable. Although I can mount it and view
files on it, but it complains about the 2nd partition.

I have tried creating with fdisk a 2GB 1st partition and a 2nd partition
of the balance and then formatting the first partition as ext2. I then
used livecd-iso-to-disk /path-to-iso-file /path-to-1st-partition, and
wound up with nothing. I've tried other methods of madness without any
success.

Am I missing something or should I just use a 2GB flash for the
customized live image and a separate encrypted data drive?