[ale] Bacula or Rsync + Windows

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Oct 6 10:34:43 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 10:32 -0400, George Allen wrote:
> Has anyone setup a backup server for windows clients?
> Anything from bacula to some type of rsync client, feeding back to a
> linux freebsd box, to backup user directories?
>
> Ideally, I'd like to setup a FreeBSD (or Solaris if it still exists)
> box, running rsync to pull down backups, and zfs for per-user
> filesystem, quotas, and cifs sharing.
> (Yes I know btrfs will save the world, but it's not exactly stable
> yet.)
>
> Or - if there's a existing sub-system in windows for this that isn't
> crap, what is it? Not familiar.

If you can manage to do it, don't back up the Windows clients at all.
Instead, provide a standard client setup where all the programs and so
forth match up with each other, and throw in a Samba server and move all
the data to the server.  Use Windows' profile folder redirection to move
things to the Samba “Home” directory and outside of the profile storage
(things like My Documents and Roaming Profile Data for example) and then
just backup the server on whatever backup schedule you want.

	--- Mike