[ale] Comcast cable modem - incompatible?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Oct 5 11:13:03 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:33 -0400, John Gammons wrote:
>  DOCSIS 3.0 is the only one that supports IPv6.  Quote from link
> below...

There are also non-standardized enhancements to some DOCSIS 2 hardware
(both cable modems and head-end equipment) that enable IPv6 for
later-generation DOCSIS 2 stuff.  I don't know first-hand of any cable
operator that is using that sort of thing, though.  I DOCSIS 3 offers
enough new features and functionality that it is more worthwhile to
upgrade to it for everything and normalize the network than it is to try
to continue to support multiple levels of DOCSIS.

I think that cable operators took too long to shut off DOCSIS 1,
honestly.  It seems that when it comes to large-scale networks, they
move far slower than they really have to.  I understand that things
ought to be well-tested, but it seems that once a whole network has an
upgraded infrastructure deployed that it would make sense to turn off
the lights on the old stuff and try to keep the network efficient...

	--- Mike