[ale] Comcast cable modem - incompatible?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Oct 5 11:06:10 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 08:31 -0400, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> My question was if anyone knew what was happening on Oct 12th that
> makes Comcast give me different messages about whether my modem is
> supported or not after that date.   >From the responses it appears the
> answer is:  No one knows.    That’s not surprising given that Comcast
> itself doesn’t seem to know.

I don't think it has to do directly with DOCSIS; more that it may have
to do with devices that are able to take an IPv6 address for management
and configuration.  Later DOCSIS 2 devices, as well as all DOCSIS 3
devices, can do that.  While I am guessing, it's an educated guess based
on my knowledge of various cable networks.

	--- Mike