[ale] OT- Re: Cd-r life

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 09:58:52 EDT 2010

I etch all of my important data onto bronze plates then fill in the etching
with gold. The super important data is carved into granite slabs.

That bug-out bag is getting pretty heavy...

Laser print onto acid-free archival paper is a solid preservation method.
For the terminally paranoid, getting the resulting paper laminated is next.

90+% or archival needs are environmental. magnetic media, optical media,
film, all require lightless, temperature and humidity conditions to be met
for maximum  lifespan.

Oh. put flash media in a lead-foil film bag to go through the airport with.
X-rays and flash media are a bad combination.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Richard Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org>wrote:

>  Agreed on the frailness of flash memory Wolf.  One trip to Willie's Place
> in
> Hillsboro, TX during the studio build had me carrying a ton of gear with me
>
> through ATL/TSA and saw my bags (laptop bag, HDD's and thumb-drives)
> getting scanned at least three time before being cleared.  All of my sticks
>
> were toast in some fashion.  I cringed as they scanned them...
>
> In the end I got my work done but had to d/l fresh images for my drives and
> rebuild them on the road to finish the studio installs.  Frustrating.
>
> Paper is a longer term storage media (correct) but due to light effects and
> acid content of paper (which varies) it does come apart if not properly
> selected and cared for.
>
> This is an issue which I'm starting to wrestle with for the long-term care
> and preservation of data and photographic archives for the 34th PRS
> website and project.  At this point all archival is done on CD-R and HDD
> with new archives coming to long-term (gold) optical media.  Most all of
> what we have in storage at this point is (green) media -- likely part of
> the
> reason why they have lasted so long.    ----R

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.