[ale] OT- Re: Cd-r life

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Mon Oct 4 09:18:41 EDT 2010

Agreed on the frailness of flash memory Wolf.  One trip to Willie's
Place in
Hillsboro, TX during the studio build had me carrying a ton of gear with
me
through ATL/TSA and saw my bags (laptop bag, HDD's and thumb-drives)
getting scanned at least three time before being cleared.  All of my
sticks
were toast in some fashion.  I cringed as they scanned them...

In the end I got my work done but had to d/l fresh images for my drives
and
rebuild them on the road to finish the studio installs.  Frustrating.

Paper is a longer term storage media (correct) but due to light effects
and
acid content of paper (which varies) it does come apart if not properly
selected and cared for.

This is an issue which I'm starting to wrestle with for the long-term
care
and preservation of data and photographic archives for the 34th PRS
website and project.  At this point all archival is done on CD-R and HDD
with new archives coming to long-term (gold) optical media.  Most all
of
what we have in storage at this point is (green) media -- likely part of
the
reason why they have lasted so long.    ----R