[ale] Comcast cable modem - incompatible?

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sat Oct 2 13:12:15 EDT 2010

On Sat October 2 2010, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> I don’t think Comcast is just trying to get me to lease a new modem as the
> letter says I can buy one at a retailer.  I’ve already priced replacements
> that do DOCSIS 3.0 (e.g. SB6120) that are listed as compatible on their
> site.   However, without them being able to give me good information I’m
> loathe to do that because they can’t tell me why the current modem isn’t
> adequate or why there is a need for a change on Oct 12th in the first
> place.

wouldn't you want a modem that can do DOCSIS 3.0 ? it says up to 4 times
faster than DOCSIS 2.0...
I see one on Amazon for $80:

Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem by Motorola
Buy new:  $80.73
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=SB6120&x=0&y=0

--
Paul Cartwright