[ale] why Linux hurts/disappoints me more than once

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Nov 28 14:21:33 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 01:06 -0500, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Here is where I stand.  I took all of your suggestions.
>
> Put my Kubuntu cd, LIVE CD Session wont start.
> Put my Ubuntu cd LIVE CD session wont start
> Put the system rescue from the link one of the members was kind enough
> provide, burnt cd, session starts but machine reboots.

The machine reboots?  That's weird.  What type of CPU is there in there?
Older machines with a 586 or older AMD processor could be problems with
some of the newer 686 distros like Fedora 11 and older.  What was the
precise rescue CD you downloaded (name, version, and arch)?  Maybe an
arch mismatch?

> Finally one of the old DEBIAN cd rescue mode works

I don't know precisely what my next step might be with Debian or Ubuntu
other than reach for a Fedora based distro.  There may be something
similar in the Ubuntu initramfs but newer Fedoras (11, 12, 13, 14) now
use dracut and busybox in the initramfs and has an interesting set of
emergency shell breakpoints built into the initramfs.  Booting with
something like rdbreak=mount on the shell command line will break into a
busybox shell just before it attempts to mount the root file system
while rdbreak=pre-pivot breaks just after that but before the pivot-root
(exit then returns flow of control back to the initramfs process at each
step).  There's about a half a dozen emergency shell breakouts in the
Fedora bootup from right at the initial command like processing all the
way to just before execing the real init.  But, again, I don't know what
you've got there in Ubuntu.  Maybe someone else knows that one.  I would
be very curious to know what's running just after udev has fired up but
just before it attempts to mount the root file system and see if it even
sees the partitions (you would have to mount /proc and then
examine /proc/partitions - DON'T use fdisk or sfdisk for this since they
see what's on disk and not what the kernel has recognized and has in
memory).  The error you showed in the screen shot is unlike any of the
errors in the initramfs that would indicate an inability to find the
rootfs.  In fact, I swear it almost looks like you're not loading an
initramfs at all (except it does show that md multidrive logic
initialization).

My favorite "rescue" CD for doing this kind of work is the one I
mentioned earlier, NST, or Network Security Toolkit.  It's actually a
highly customizable (been building a custom distro with it all weekend)
forensic CD that can be either a "minimal" (<600M) or full (1.4G)
desktop system.  The minimal fits on a CD and doesn't use a GUI.  The
latest flavor is 2.13 which is Fedora 13 based.  The 32 bit flavor is
i686 just like F13 so if you've got an older i586 processor, that won't
work either.  The stock ready to burn images are up at
http://www.networksecuritytoolkit.org.

Mike