[ale] why Linux hurts/disappoints me more than once

K Phillips kbphillips80 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 11:32:51 EST 2010

I have Linux (fedora 14) on a 1 tb wd drive with no issues. That said, the second drive changes everything in all that we're discussing. Specifically, if the first drive is windows, I'm guessing you're switching the boot order in the bios to try to boot either one. That is good in theory, but it breaks grub when the disk order changes.  (unplugging the windows disk during Linux install has the same effect).

It'd be easiest to set the Linux disk as drive 0, and the win one as drive 1 in bios and bootorder; then add a grub entry for windows. Google search "chainloader grub" to find out how to do that.

However, to fix your current issue, based upon assumptions above, you may need to change the entries in grub.conf to hd1,0 when the windows disk is set first in the boot order.  I've personally experienced this where grub is setup one way during install because I unplugged the win disk during install, and then it breaks on first boot when I plug the win disk back in.

If my theory is correct, then you should be able to prove this by trying to boot the Linux with the windows disk either unplugged or disabled in the bios.