[ale] why Linux hurts/disappoints me more than once

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 10:24:24 EST 2010

AH.  I didn't realize you have 2 drives with default boot drive is still
windows.

MBR on boot drive needs the grub data. Additionally, the drive designator
hd0 will be wrong. It should be hd1 in the grub setup (menu.1st I believe
for Ubuntu; grub.conf for RedHat/Fedora style).

Specifically the lines in grub.conf like:
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=0
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64 ro
root=/dev/mapper/vg_blindtoadstout-lv_root
rd_LUKS_UUID=luks-79a78ec7-99bc-4277-a9a5-f9b9153157f2
rd_LVM_LV=vg_blindtoadstout/lv_root rd_LVM_LV=vg_blindtoadstout/lv_swap
rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us
rhgb quiet
    initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64.img

The root (hd0,0) will need to be changed to root (hd1,0) if the mbr on the
first drive (windows boot) has been properly installed with the grub loader
and the Linux distro is on sdb.  Make the same change for the splashimage
(If you have one).

This could be _ALL_WRONG_ if you are using grub2 system. But I _think_
drives are counted from 0 while partitions are counted from 1. That make
root (hd0,0) become root (hd0,1) and root (hd1,0) become root (hd2,0).

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha
<savithari at gmail.com>wrote:

> Friends:
>
> Please clarify/educate me on this please.
>
> My set up is
>
> HD1 is a 1TB Hitachi drive on which I first installed Windoze(it is still
> there).  In the Linux world it is /dev/sda
> HD2 is a 1TB Hitachi drive on which I am trying to install Ubuntu
> Server/Debian in that order (install works for debian but wont work after
> that).
>
> Since it is a 1TB drive, I have to install  LVM(which the installer
> provides in guided partitioning) I am assuming.
>
> In the GRUB world, where does the GRUB or the initial menu piece get
> installed to ?  The /dev/sda or the /dev/sdb ?
>
> Also how does LVM fit into this scenario ?
>
> Please educate.
>
> -Narahari

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.